Andre Agassi and Speech Inspiring during Hall of Fame Induction

>> Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Andre Agassi has been inducted to the International Tennis Hall of Fame last Saturday.

I have liked him during his tennis-playing days. The media and being married to Brooke Shields probably played a lot in that. But I liked him more now because of his inspiring speech during his induction.

Agassi was my first favorite tennis player. He was a global tennis star. I mostly saw him play via highlight reels. I had goosebumps watching him lose his last tennis match at the US Open before retiring.


Andre Kirk Agassi
International Tennis Hall of Fame
Image from wikipedia

I have a poster of him in my bedroom. It was a top view of a bald Agassi serving. The tennis ball is up in the air, his eyes in laser-like focus and his arm ready to smash it with his racket. I remember that those were the times when he already returned to the top of tennis rankings.

Completing a career grand slam of men's singles titles put him ahead of Pete Sampras in tennis lore while his Olympic Gold Medal put him a notch against my current favorite player, Roger Federer. [He handed the trophy to Federer when Fed completed his own career grand slam.]

After his accomplishment in the tennis court, he was loved for his Andre Agassi charter school in Las Vegas and his foundation that helped raise $150 million for education reform.

In his speech, he asked that we to look at the nurses and teachers "win their own, personal Grand Slams".

And added, “They know already what it took me decades to find out:

To shine in secret, and to give when there’s no one applauding,” he said. “It’s not to late to be inspired. It’s not too late to change. It’s not too late.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP